
I wanted to share with you something that got me thinking more about liturgy in the first place.
One of our favorite singer/songwriters is Andrew Peterson. His songs are so insightful, so beautiful, and they connect with me on many levels. A few months ago, D. went to see AP in concert and picked up his newest CD to bring home to me. This CD is entitled "Resurrection Letters: Volume II." I love it. Oh, I love it so much. I have listened to it over and over during these last few months. I have also been listening to AP's Christmas album, "Behold the Lamb of God" a lot lately.
My favorite song is the last one on the CD. It's called "The Good Confession (I Believe)." Go buy it on iTunes. Right now.
It is a reflection on the artist's baptism, which took place when he was 9 years old. Part of his baptism liturgy was reciting the following phrase: "I believe he is the Christ, the Son of the living God." Since his dad was a pastor, he heard this phrase over and over again throughout his childhood. The song is a reflection on the power of these words. Here is my favorite line: "I drank so deep from the shallow well only to thirst again... till I heard a song that took my hand and led me home. And I believe he is the Christ, Son of the Living God." The words that are important to our faith do something amazing in our hearts; they come to life and they change us. I love the image of a song that led him home.
The song ends this way: "So when my body's weak and the day is long, when I feel my faith is all but gone, I'll remember when I sing this song that I believe."
I wrote a few days ago about the ways we want to include more liturgy in the life of our family, but I also want to include more in my personal time with Jesus. Something I'm practicing is reciting this simple phrase throughout the day. It helps that it's part of a song that I love.
A few days ago, I was singing to myself while making lunch for Isaiah. As I began to sing, "I believe," he finished the phrase with "he is the Christ." When I said "son of the," he finished the second phrase: "living God." I cried a little bit. Sure, maybe he doesn't understand the gravity of what he said, but that's kind of the point of liturgy, right? Hopefully he'll understand its importance later. By the way, we've added this phrase to our bedtime prayers.
I believe he is the Christ, the son of the living God.
1 comment:
AP is one of my favorites, too! I'm going to have to get that CD!
Post a Comment