So I was thinking that you might like to know why and how we chose the name Ezra Miles for our beautiful boy.
I'll start with the middle name. We like family names, and we love the idea of honoring someone who is important to us by naming our children after them. Miles is my brother, and he is the best big brother anyone could ask for. We are only 20 months apart in age, and we have always been very close. He is also a great brother-in-law to D. They are both ministers, computer geeks, coffee addicts, and just generally get along very well.
Miles means "merciful, generous." It was number 189 on the popularity chart in 2007, and according to nameberry, "Jazz great Miles Davis applied a permanent veneer of cool to this confident and polished name; it has been appreciated in particular by celebrity babynamers." I mean, if celebrities like it, we must have good taste.
As far as first names go, we like Bible names, especially for boys. I don't really know why. We had a long list to start with, and I originally wanted to add Ezra to the list. D. liked it... and it just stuck. We like the sound of it; the vowel sounds are strong, and the letter "z" adds some punch. So we read a little about the story of Ezra. He was a priest who led his people out of captivity from Babylon to Jerusalem. It's a powerful story, and it's very important in the history of the Old Testament. Ezra means "help," and it is #342 on the popularity chart.
We had three names at the end, and D. was the one to make the final choice. We had to see our baby and get to know him a little before choosing a name, but this one just seems right. So there you go!
No comments:
Post a Comment